Tall Guy, Small Town: An ALT in Tokushima-ken

My life as an ALT with the JET Programme living and working in Mino-cho, Miyoshi-shi, Tokushima-ken.


My Photos

Monday, September 04, 2006

It begins...

Ahhh 9am on Tuesday morning. My first earthquake drill is in 10 minutes, so I had best make this quick.

Today is my first day of teaching. Class with 1st year junior high school students starts in just over an hour and I'm terrified. I'm super prepared, with too much to do in a short time, but I still can shake the feeling I'm just going to have a class of blank faces.......... ahhhhhhh

All my intro speeches however, have gone over wonderfully, and everyone keeps telling me how wonderful my broken Japanese is. I know I still suck, but in one month I've made huge leaps and I'm really proud of that *pats self on the back smugly*

My elementary students seem really geared up to go, and not at all afraid of me. Many have come up between classes or after school to talk, usually in groups as there is strength in numbers. They all speak Japanese sooooo damn fast, but are incredibley cute so it is worth the effort to get them to slow down and to try to say as much as I can. I met one student in the grocery store with his mom last night (from Shibo elementary). He was so inquisitive, and kindly suggested I buy a different pizza because the one I had wasn't good (but my choice of french fries won me huge points).

Time to get ready for earthquake drills. Wish me luck with class ...o_O!!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats on the kitten.

Oh Brian, I miss you.

Soulds like you are having fun.

-jade

3:03 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ack i'm so proud of you, i haven' started teaching yet, just observing, but i know when that day comes (and it will be very soon!), i'll be crapping my pants with nervousness!

miss you!
Roisin

9:58 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home